Friday, November 13, 2009

Run-in of the day, with no snow on the ground

Every now and then, something happens to warm the heart of your inner skier. These experiences are really important when there is no snow on the ground and you know  that other people are skiing, somewhere.

Last night was Warren Miller movie night in Huntsville, presented by The Official Ski Shop and emceed by yours truly. This year's film, Dynasty, is one of the best from WME in a long time. The segment about Mongolian ski culture alone is worth the price of admission. And how can you not like a ski movie that has Deep Purple's "Space Truckin'" in the soundtrack?


So, there  I was in the lobby of the Algonquin Theatre , handing out free Burton posters to any kid that walked through the door, and even a few grown-ups. I am proudly sporting my new Line t-shirt. The snowboard kids are looking at me suspiciously.


SBR's new shirt as displayed on the Line website  

All of of a sudden this 11 year-old boy marches up to me, points at the shirt and says:

"Cooooool, Line skis!"

SBR, in a conspiratory tone: "Prophet 100s, man*"  

Grom: "Sweeeet!"

The kid continues on with free poster in hand, both him and his parents with big smiles on their faces. I think, yes, I am a skier

* I guess I should have called him "dude" but hey, I grew up in the age of "man" and can't quite get my head around "dude" in serious conversation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment